Food is an expensive hobby: every time I see a new recipe, I immediately begin planning when I’ll try it. For someone that spends as much time as I do browsing food blogs and cookbooks as I do, the grocery budget can be blown fast. Baked goods are a great solution for this: I’ll often have all the ingredients needed for simple cookies and cakes on hand. Joy the Baker’s Brown Sugar Cookies and Simple Vegan Chocolate Cake are good examples. As long as I have flour, sugar, butter and eggs on hand, I’m pretty close to delicious cooking satisfaction. A Cozy Kitchen’s Honey Bee cookies are a good throw-together snack too.
Now, there’s a big problem with this cheap snack plan: once you make a sweet treat, someone has to eat it. I usually have no problem polishing off cookies or cake, or sharing them with roommates or my boyfriend. Another option for getting rid of sweets is taking them to work. Everyone will love you, and you’ll get to bake to your heart’s content without having to invest in new pants.
Banana bread is an always delicious, fairly inexpensive option for the bring-to-work snack. The loaf is a good way to use up bananas that are going bad, and you can dress it up any way that you like. The variations of banana bread out there are endless, but my favorite option is to add chocolate. Of course.
Adapted slightly from Everyday Food magazine
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine salt
½ c room-temp butter
1 ¼ c sugar
2 large room-temp eggs
1 ½ c mashed overripe bananas (3 or 4 bananas)
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour and 5×9 in loaf pan.
- In a med bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a lg bowl, beat butter and sugar on med-high till fluffy, 3 mins.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture and chocolate on med.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake till skewer inserted into center of pan comes out clean, 50-60 mins.